Tuesday, 22 June 2010

Lately

I've just completed my submission for the 11 second club competition this June. I have animated all the poses for the doctor and the patient character. I also managed to finish modelling and rigging the stethoscope, although I'm still not entirely satisfied with the outcome. Overall, I feel quite pleased with the poses in this piece, although I don't think I will be working with the Blake or the Nimo rigs again.

video

The competition closes around the beginning of July, at which point you can start voting for the submissions, so I shall let you know when the time comes ;)


Other than the 11 second club, I have also recently enrolled in life drawing classes at Lewisham Art House. I have also been doing some sketches for some character designs, as well as reading up on drawing of cartoons and caricatures; because I also want to take my drawing further.


I think the next step for July is to develop my understanding of rigging as this is a core skill for an animator. Mike sent out an email suggesting that we practice our rigging by designing a character, and then modelling and rigging it. I think this would be a good exercise to take on, as I am not so good at modelling in Maya and this will improve my ability to apply my designs and creativity to my CG animation work.


After I've worked on rigging, I think I will try making another dialogue or action driven animation piece, either a short film or another 11 second club entry.


I am also up for working on group projects with any animators, so if anyone is interested, give me a shout ;)

No comments: